Yesterday, I joined a flash harvest in the Hamilton – Lauraville neighborhood. The Baltimore Orchard Project identified the pear tree and the owner graciously agreed to allow us to take 80 pounds of pears and distribute them to area shelters. If you want to register a fruit or nut bearing tree of any kind, or if you want to volunteer, learn more here: http://www.baltimoreorchard.org/
Some of the pears were punctured or too bruised to give away, so the volunteers like me ended up with enough to make a pie. Here’s how I prepared mine:
- Arrange pear slices in pie shell in an attractive pattern.
- Beat the sugar, flour, melted butter, eggs, lemon juice, vanilla, ginger and Cointreau with a mixer until smooth and well blended Pour mixture over the pears in the pie shell.
- Bake at 350F for 40 to 45 minutes, or until light brown and top springs back when pressed.
- pie shell/s
- firm ripe pears, pared and sliced thinly
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau liqueur (optional)